REPORTS TO: Controller
PRIMARY FUNCTION OF POSITION: The Senior Accountant performs designated accounting and administrative functions regarding temporarily restricted accounts, segregated and unitrust annuities, Faith Community accounting/bank transfers. Works closely with the Controller and the VP of Finance to provide overall support with financial spreadsheets, correspondence, reports, meetings, etc., that is highly confidential and sensitive to the operations of the company. Performs duties directly related to general business operations of Covenant House that involves the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance.
- Serving as the Site facing accounting role working with the Covenant House Sites including:
- Prepare intercompany expense reports for each Site which includes expenses netted against bi-monthly transfers of support to sites and prepare journal entries to reflect the monthly activity. Ensure the analysis is prepared and the transfers are made on a timely basis and confirm at year-end.
- Prepare and execute all wire and ACH transfers to all Sites including Latin America via JP Morgan online banking system.
- Serve as the Vendor Master set-up expert for the Lawson financial system which entails receiving new vendor set-up forms from certain sites and processing the accurate info in to the Lawson AP vendor master list. Assist sites with questions relating to new vendor setups.
- Preparing the following reports:
- Daily cash contribution report ensuring all streams of revenue are accounted for accurately
- Check receipts to be deposited into the Merrill Lynch stock account
- Correspondence between Covenant House and JP Morgan, Vanguard, and Smith Barney
- Preparing the reconciliation and analysis of:
- Vanguard Investment Accounts
- Temporarily restricted funds (Planned Giving, Segregated Gift Annuities, CH New York Excess Reserve, California Reserve accounts, etc.).
- Prepare the reconciliation and analysis of:
- Vanguard Charitable Remainder Trust Investment Accounts
- Comerica Segregated Annuities Investment Accounts.
- Maintain all Trust and Annuity agreements and prepare monthly journal entries to account for any new agreements.
- Work closely with our third party vendor who prepares the quarterly distributions to the annuitants or trust donors to insure that all distributions are recorded accurately in our Lawson accounting software.
- Insure that the funds needed to cover these distributions are transferred by wire/ACH from the respective donor investment accounts to the disbursement account.
- Communicate with the third party vendor and the Planned Giving Dept. in the event the status of a donor has changed or a stop payment is required which will affect the life of the gift annuity.
- Assist the third party in the preparation of the Annual Gift Annuity filing.
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly state registration filings.
- Monitor corporate credit card account daily spending for management.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Controller, VP or CFO.
- Act as back-up to other Staff Accountants.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- General accounting or finance work experience required.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and accounting practices and procedures, strong follow-through and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Possess excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Good verbal and written skills.
- Detail oriented and ability to multi-task
- Must be dedicated to the mission of Covenant House
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum of three years of related experience.
To apply for this position, candidates should e-mail a cover letter and current resume with salary requirements to email@example.com with “Senior Accountant” as the subject line.
Covenant House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.