DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
Covenant House International (CHI) is seeking a skilled, smart, sophisticated, and collaborative senior human resources professional to become its next SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer is a critical member of the leadership team and supports CHI’s mission, values, and culture by ensuring strategic management of its human resources function. He or she provides guidance and professional expertise to CHI and its affiliates on matters related to HR and organizational development.
The SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer will manage a team of at least three people, in addition to being an influencer and coach to CHI affiliates. Candidates must be adept leaders with an ability to develop colleagues aligned with organizational values of accountability and autonomy. Most importantly, this position plays a critical role in employee relations, affiliate relations and is typically relied upon to identify issues or concerns and bring them to resolution in collaboration with the executive team. The SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer will work closely with staff across the organization and is an active participant with affiliates internationally.
The SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer must be a highly intelligent self-starter with a proven record of accomplishment who has a commitment to CHI’s mission and its organizational development goals. The SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer should have substantial experience in managing human resources for a complex organization, preferably in nonprofits servicing disadvantaged communities. He or she will possess excellent speaking and writing skills and be able to communicate successfully and persuasively within the organization, as well as to affiliates, and legal counsel when necessary. The successful candidate will be highly organized, diplomatic, possess sound judgment and relationship building skills as well as honed interpersonal skills, and maintain a sense of humor under stress. The SVP Human Capital Management and Engagement Officer will also be very familiar with HRIS technology and systems.
Principal Set of Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction and ensure the effective management of all aspects of human resources, including compensation and benefits, compliance with employment laws, talent management, training and development, performance management, recruitment, employee relations, affiliate relations, HRIS Systems management and reporting metrics
- Assess the organization’s overall human capital needs and oversee the refinement and implementation of organization-wide systems, structures, policies and procedures, including the design, implementation and oversight of a human capital management strategic plan to optimize performance and accountability and mitigate risk
- Ensure that top quality, highly-motivated, and effective staff are recruited, retained, and developed within the Covenant House/Casa Alianza community
- Work closely with organizational leadership and managers to create a positive work environment and culture, and help facilitate the resolution of interpersonal issues
- Foster a trusting environment which espouses transparency, active listening and direct communication
- Collaborate closely with the COO and senior management to ensure that all Human Resources initiatives are aligned with the strategic direction and goals of the organization
- Formulate, approve, implement and update CHI’s personnel policies in consultation with the HR team, legal counsel, and the COO, as needed
- Systematize employee training and development, performance management, risk management, conflict resolution and organizational development across the organization
- Support the creation and implementation of development, career-pathing and succession plans for all staff
- Build a positive culture based on the mission of CHI to ensure the organization has a deeply engaged employee population
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of 15 years of progressive experience in Human Resources with SHRM certification and membership
- Successful track record of driving organizational change and transformation through supervision of and collaboration with staff in a manner that is flexible and supportive, yet ensures accountability, organizational support and the ability to leverage existing resources
- Successful track record of cultural competency working within an international organization preferred; prior experience working within a complex, affiliate-structured organization with a centralized hub
- Human resources project management with a demonstrated history of configuring, implementing and continuity of operations with an enterprise management system, preferably ADP.
- Bilingual English-Spanish fluency strongly preferred
- Excellent leadership and management skills, including the capacity to attract, develop, inspire, and retain the highest quality staff who also strongly fit the culture of the organization
- Effective and persuasive communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to appreciate various viewpoints, share relevant information in a timely manner, and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to work in a partnership with a strong leadership team and a committed staff with high standards and expectations, and must exhibit sound judgment and an entrepreneurial sense of balance to know when to move with the tide and when to push back
- Proven track record of assessing organizational needs and developing and implementing policies, systems (HRIS/enterprise management) and processes
- Keen analytical and problem-solving skills that enable sound strategic decision making; resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems (organizational development)
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations, trends and best practices in the U.S. health insurance and health care delivery fields
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and a good sense of humor
- Strong professional judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality and build trust among staff at all levels
To apply for this position, candidates should e-mail a cover letter and current resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SVP of Human Capital Management and Engagement” as the subject line.
Covenant House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.